What causes traction alopecia?Alopecia due to traction can be caused by:
- Regularly wearing tight chignon, cornrows, dreadlocks, weaves and braids
- Using hair extensions
- Using chemical relaxers and rollers.
What are the clinical features of traction alopecia?There is a large variation in the pattern of clinical presentation of traction alopecia. It there is no suspicion of traction, it can be difficult to diagnose. Patients may present with:
- Folliculitis or pustules
- Multiple short broken hairs
- Thinning and hair loss
What is the treatment of traction alopecia?People with traction alopecia should consider changing hair care and styling practice to prevent further deterioration.
- Loosen the hair style.
- Cut long hair.
- Avoid exposing affected hair and scalp to chemicals and heat.
- Antibiotics to prevent infection
- Topical or intralesional steroids
- Topical antifungal shampoos
- Biotin supplements
- Hair replacement surgery